Summary of Qualifications
I design clear, efficient user interfaces that integrate user goals with business requirements. I am experienced with Lean workplace practice and incorporating user experience design within Agile Software Development.
- User interface / interaction design: wireframes, mockups, HTML prototypes
- Interface and interaction design documentation: user stories, Unified Modeling Language (UML) use cases, user-system interaction flow charts, activity diagrams, site architecture, wireframes
- Detailed requirements gathering, problem definition, impact analysis
- Usability testing and analysis, in-person and remotely
- Specification of system behavior and interaction flow for optimal user experience
- Organization of large amounts of information from disparate sources into a cohesive whole
- Clear and precise communication of detailed product design specifications to programming team
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- High-fidelity functional prototypes – Axure
- Low-fidelity prototypes, wireframes – Balsamiq Mockups, Adobe InDesign
- Wireframes, paper prototypes – Adobe InDesign, MS Word, Adobe Photoshop
- Flow charts, activity diagrams, use case diagrams, page flow architecture – Visio
- User stories, test cases, acceptance criteria, Gherkin-format specifications
- Documentation, UML use cases, user stories, scenarios – MS Word
- Content analysis and management, usability test result analysis – MS Excel
- Graphic design – Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop
- Document sharing and collaboration – SharePoint
Senior User Experience Designer
2015 – Present, Portland, Oregon
I’ve been on this job for nearly three years. Too busy to update the resume.
Energy Trust of Oregon – IT
Business Analyst / User Experience Designer (Contract)
2014 – 2015, Portland, Oregon
- Create high-fidelity interactive wireframes to document and demonstrate user interface functionality for a web-based application to replace a legacy desktop application.
- Gather and document business and end-user requirements.
- Write user-focused Agile user stories, Gherkin specifications, acceptance criteria, and test cases.
- Execute “black box” functional testing.
- Observe and interview users in their work environment.
Con-way Enterprise Services (Now XPO Logistics) – User Experience Research & Design
Senior Usability Systems Analyst / User Experience Designer
2010 – 2014, Portland, Oregon
- Design user interfaces for new applications, as well as enhancements to existing applications, supporting a nation-wide freight operations network:
- Cloud-based system providing alternate access to freight movement data, in the event of a computer network outage.
- Web-based system for managing customer locations for EDI (Electronic Data Interchange), replacing an antiquated mainframe “green screen” application.
- Computer-modeled inter-city freight planning, replacing a mostly paper-based manual process.
- Capture of multiple data points incorporated into an existing intra-city freight pickup process.
- Plan and conduct user tests to iteratively improve interface designs and maximize usability.
- Observe and interview users in their work environment.
EthicsPoint, Inc. (now Navex Global) – Product Engineering
Senior Interface/Interaction Designer/ User Experience Team Lead
2005 – 2010, Portland, Oregon
- Evaluated business requirements and documented solutions for a proposed web-based SAAS application including user stories and scenarios, UML use cases, task flow, navigation model, taxonomy, site architecture, and user interface specifications.
- Lead the user experience team for re-launch of enterprise-level SAAS application with a new look, enhanced features, and an improved overall experience.
- Evaluated legacy application for usability recommended and implemented usability improvements.
- Documented business rules and logic for implementing international regulations, enabling clients to be in compliance with foreign regulatory agencies.
- Conducted user testing with paper prototypes to refine features and validate a user-friendly interface.
- Supplied test requirements to QA and assisted with black box testing.
- Edited user guides and in-product help and trained internal users to support customers.
HTML developer and documentation specialist
- Documented requirements and specifications of new and enhanced features designed for continual improvement of legacy applications.
- Wrote topics for online help system and user-friendly system error and response messages.
- Wrote user and admin guides, resulting in decreased calls to customer service.
- Produced incidental graphics ensuring brand consistency.
- Coded standards-compliant XHTML for consistent experience across supported browsers.
Independent Consulting: Information Architecture/Web Design/Graphic Design
2002 – 2005, Portland Oregon
Clients: Brain Tank Solutions, Inc.; CMD; Design Showroom; Fortix LLC; Grady Britton; ID Inc., Intel Innovation in Education (for CMD); JELD-WEN (for CMD); Mo Duk Pai Association; Norris Lane Press; OHSU Stroke Center; Trendwest (for CMD)
- Evaluated client needs for web sites and web applications, organizing for structure and content based on business goals.
- Designed navigation systems to help users quickly and easily locate critical business information.
- Performed usability tests and recommended improvements for client web sites. Designed, coded, and maintained web sites for small and growing businesses and organizations, establishing and expanding their web presence.
- Designed and produced logos and corporate identity, flyers and brochures, newsletters, books, and booklets.
Purple Mountain Media Company – Internet Operations
Senior Information Architect / Business Analyst
2001 -2002, Portland, Oregon
- Carried out planning and implementation of children’s news site, teacher guide site, and corporate site for publisher of children’s educational newspaper, leveraging increased use of internet technology among target audiences.
- Documented user goals and requirements, wrote and presented user scenarios to business stakeholders for planned expansion of offerings.
- Developed site architecture and navigation for maximum ease of use.
Convergent Communications, Inc. – Web Solutions
Senior Information Architect
1999 -2000, Portland, Oregon
- Evaluated client goals and customer needs to determine optimal interface and functionality solutions.
- Developed use cases for web applications to clearly and precisely define system behavior for programmers, resulting in decreased development time with predictable results. Developed site architecture, user activity flow, and navigation and labeling schema for maximum ease
- Collaborated with software engineers, graphic designers, and web production specialists to implement web site design and ensure quality of customer experience.
Young & Roehr Group – New Media
1988 -1999, Portland, Oregon
Clients: Boise Cascade Paper; CFI; Colonial Pacific; Freightliner; Imagenation; Mercedes Benz Credit Corp.; Freightliner SelectTrucks; Sharp Microelectronics; Standard Insurance; Tektronix
Information Architect / Project Coordinator
- Organized client web site structure and content; designed navigation systems to provide users with clear understanding of clients’ offerings.
- Estimated project budgets, set schedules, and tracked assignments, ensuring successful project completion.
- Primary client contact for tactical execution, delivering fast response to client change requests. Consulted with Interactive Creative Director to create usable and useful user interface.
- Collaborated with art directors, programmers, account services personnel, and clients to develop web sites; architected and coded web sites; produced animated banner ads.
Senior Production Artist
- Assembled and prepared for print advertising, collateral materials, and corporate identity.
Department of East Asian Studies, Bachelors Degree
Chinese history, language, economy, politics; taught English in Taiwan as a volunteer for six months; additional course work in design and typography.
Interaction Design Foundation – member
Pacific Association of Women Martial Artists – president 2011, head of Communications Committee 2010, board member 2010-2012. Redesigned and maintained www.pawma.org
Mo Duk Pai Kung Fu – black belt 2010, 2nd degree 2014, 3rd degree 2016; Mo Duk Pai Association vice-president, 2013-2014, secretary 2015-2017