I specialize in crafting user-centered solutions for enterprise, SaaS, and business-to-business applications, integrating business requirements with user needs and goals. I thrive on the challenge of finding elegant solutions to complex problems, driven by research, validated by testing, refined through iteration.
- Wireframes, mockups, interactive prototypes
- Usability testing and analysis, in-person and remotely
- Specification of system behavior and interaction flow for optimal user experience
- Design documentation: user stories, Unified Modeling Language (UML) use cases, user-system interaction flow charts, activity diagrams, site architecture
- Detailed requirements gathering, problem definition, impact analysis
- Acceptance criteria and test cases: Agile user stories and gherkin format
- Editing, proofreading, occasional technical writing
Skills / Tools
- Adobe Creative Suite
- Axure RP
- Balsamiq Mockups
- Light HTML and CSS
If you don’t see your favorite listed, don’t worry, I can learn it.
Senior User Experience Designer (HR job title of record: Senior Software Developer)
2015 – 2018, Portland, Oregon
- Designed customer-facing interface and configuration tools for a highly customizable SaaS application for healthcare contingency staffing, to replace a rigid legacy web application
- Continuously improved usability and iterated on interface designs, applying knowledge gained from usability testing with internal and external customers
- Promoted company culture with daily trivia questions and by organizing regular baking competitions
Energy Trust of Oregon – IT
Business Analyst / User Experience Designer (Contract)
2014 – 2015, Portland, Oregon
- Took charge of documenting business requirements and designing user interface for enterprise web application to replace legacy project and payment management system
- Brought business stakeholders and development team to consensus, with information gathered by observing and interviewing users in their work environment, and from conducting usability tests
- Created high-fidelity interactive wireframes to document and demonstrate user interface functionality
- Wrote user-focused Agile user stories, Gherkin specifications, acceptance criteria, and test cases
- Executed “black box” functional testing
XPO Logistics (formerly Con-way Enterprise Services) – User Experience Research & Design
Senior Usability Systems Analyst / User Experience Designer
2010 – 2014, Portland, Oregon
- Designed user interfaces, conducted field research and usability tests for various systems supporting a nationwide freight operations network, including:
- Cloud-based application, with a self-explanatory interface, providing backup of critical freight data that ensured the uninterrupted movement of freight during network outages
- Replacement of manual inter-city freight planning with computer modeling, maximizing system-wide efficiency and giving planners greater insight into network information
- Recording accurate freight dimensions, resulting in more efficient use of trailer space
- Splitting and merging of city freight stops, giving dispatchers and drivers more flexibility and autonomy with managing the delivery and pickup process, and eliminating redundant data entry
Navex Global, Inc. (formerly EthicsPoint, Inc.) – Product Engineering
Senior Interaction Designer/ User Experience Team Lead
2005 – 2010, Portland, Oregon
- Led the user experience team for re-launch of ethics reporting and case management SaaS application with a new look, enhanced features, and an improved overall experience
- Instituted practice of user testing with paper prototypes to iterate on features, improving usability
- Streamlined contact center interface and intake process, resulting in simpler training and fewer errors
- Enabled clients to comply with foreign regulatory agencies and European data privacy laws by documenting business rules and logic for implementing international regulations
- Edited user guides and in-product help topics; trained internal users to support customers
- Supplied test requirements to QA and assisted with black box testing
HTML developer and documentation specialist
- Documented requirements and specifications of new and enhanced features designed for continual improvement of legacy applications
- Wrote topics for online help system and user-friendly system error and response messages
- Wrote user and admin guides, resulting in decreased calls to customer service
- Produced incidental graphics ensuring brand consistency
- Coded standards-compliant XHTML for consistent experience across supported browsers
Independent Consulting: Information Architecture/Web Design/Graphic Design
2002 – 2005, Portland Oregon
Clients: Brain Tank Solutions, Inc.; CMD; Design Showroom; Fortix LLC; Grady Britton; ID Inc., Intel Innovation in Education (for CMD); JELD-WEN (for CMD); Mo Duk Pai Association; Norris Lane Press; OHSU Stroke Center; Trendwest (for CMD)
- Established and expanded web presence of small and growing businesses and organizations by designing, coding, and maintaining their websites
- Evaluated client needs for websites and web applications, organizing structure and content.
- Designed navigation systems to help users quickly and easily locate critical business information.
- Recommended improvements for client websites based on usability tests results
- Designed and produced logos, flyers, brochures, newsletters, books, and booklets
Purple Mountain Media Company – Internet Operations
Senior Information Architect / Business Analyst
2001 -2002, Portland, Oregon
- Leveraged increased use of internet among target audiences to plan and implement children’s news site, teacher guide site, and corporate site for publisher of children’s educational newspaper
- Improved ease of use by optimizing site architecture and navigation
- Advocated for users’ goals and needs when presenting requirements for expanded offerings to business stakeholders
Convergent Communications, Inc. – Web Solutions
Senior Information Architect
1999 -2000, Portland, Oregon
- Evaluated client goals and customer needs to determine optimal interface and functionality solutions.
- Developed use cases for web applications to clearly and precisely define system behavior for programmers, resulting in decreased development time with predictable results. Developed site architecture, user activity flow, and navigation and labeling schema for maximum ease
- Collaborated with software engineers, graphic designers, and web production specialists to implement web site design and ensure quality of customer experience.
Young & Roehr Group – New Media
1988 -1999, Portland, Oregon
Clients: Boise Cascade Paper; CFI; Colonial Pacific; Freightliner; Imagenation; Mercedes Benz Credit Corp.; Freightliner SelectTrucks; Sharp Microelectronics; Standard Insurance; Tektronix
Information Architect / Project Coordinator
- Organized client web site structure and content; designed navigation systems to provide users with clear understanding of clients’ offerings.
- Estimated project budgets, set schedules, and tracked assignments, ensuring successful project completion.
- Primary client contact for tactical execution, delivering fast response to client change requests. Consulted with Interactive Creative Director to create usable and useful user interface.
- Collaborated with art directors, programmers, account services personnel, and clients to develop web sites; architected and coded web sites; produced animated banner ads.
Senior Production Artist
- Assembled and prepared for print advertising, collateral materials, and corporate identity.
Department of East Asian Studies, Bachelors Degree
Chinese history, language, economy, politics; taught English in Taiwan as a volunteer for six months; additional course work in design and typography.
Interaction Design Foundation – member
Computer-Human Interaction Forum of Oregon (CHIFOO) – member
PDX Women In Technology – member
Pacific Association of Women Martial Artists – president 2011, head of Communications Committee 2010, board member 2010-2012. Redesigned and maintained www.pawma.org
Mo Duk Pai Kung Fu – black belt 2010, 2nd degree 2014, 3rd degree 2016; Mo Duk Pai Association vice-president, 2013-2014, secretary 2015-2018
You Should Also Know
I love puzzles of all kinds.
I make great pie.